Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Intro to intuitive eating


"Sometimes your tongue wants more and more, but you got to listen to your tummy, because he says 'I'm full'"

I borrowed this quote from my cousin Emily's running blog: oklahomarunningmom.blogspot.com
She got it from her four-year-old niece. I thought it was a perfect introduction to what intuitive eating is all about.

I believe we are all born with the innate ability to regulate our eating- until human desires, environment and habits get in the way. Intuitive eating is simply an effort to learn, or re-learn, how to really listen to our bodies. I want to learn to eat when I really need to, and to really enjoy what I am eating. I find that when I am eating what I love, if I pay attention to it (eating mindfully), I can eat less and feel more satisfied. Example: I love chocolate. My current habit is to pop chocolates in my mouth, one after another, while reading a book. Then, I am surprised and disappointed when I have eaten it all. I don't feel satisfied, I want more. Eating mindfully would be if I put the book down, take the same chocolate, unwrap one piece, smell it, eat it slowly, letting it melt in my mouth. I pay attention to the taste, the texture, the feel of the chocolate. Usually by the second or third piece I realize that I am satisfied.

Have you ever eaten something just because it was there? Have you sat watching a movie and eaten an entire bowl of popcorn without realizing it? I have. Many times. Those experiences aren't satisfying for me. I end up full but disgruntled. Then I end up fat. Dang. This is not the way I want to live.

I asked for a book on intuitive eating for Christmas. Unfortunately, (sorry Reed) I gave my hubby the wrong author, so he got me the wrong book. Now I have ordered the right book from Hastings and I expect it within a week or two. I plan to share what I learn on here, but if you would like to look into it sooner, here is the website: www.amihungry.com




No comments:

Post a Comment