Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm learning to listen to my body

Okay, I haven't made the blueberry-maple muffins yet.  I admit, I didn't read the recipe very closely before I printed it out.  Turns out it requires, among other things, 1/5 cup flaxseeds, ground.  I have no problem with flaxseeds, but grinding them myself?  And, who in the heck came up with a 1/5 measurement?  Who owns a 1/5 cup measure?  Good grief.  I'm not sure I want to put forth that much effort for something that may or may not end up tasting like plywood.  However, I have managed to eat much more vegetables this week.  Yay, me. 

I got the book I ordered, finally.  It's called Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat by Michelle May, M.D.  It's not the only resource out there for learning to eat intuitively, but it was the one that caught my eye.  The basic premise is that you already have the ability to eat as much as your body needs, but you have to learn to really listen to your body, and heed what it is telling you.  Think about it.  If you ate just when you were hungry, and ate just enough to satisfy you, your body wouldn't have to store any extra.  I, personally, wouldn't have started this process before I lost most of the weight I wanted to, because it's going to take some significant patience, and I can't focus on quick weight loss.  The focus has to be on giving my body what it needs, not what my mind wants.  The good news is that my body gets hungry (like, stomach growling, real hunger- not cravings) about four or five times a day.  And, food tastes so much better when I'm really hungry.  The trick for me is going to be learning to eat just enough to satisfy me. 

So, my goal for the next few weeks is to learn to eat when I'm hungry, try not to eat when I'm not, and only eat as much as will satisfy me.  I do not expect perfection, this is a learning process.   Anyone want to join me?  

(If you have a hard time know when you are actually hungry- there are many, many articles on the web that can help you out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment