Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Having a Bit of Trouble

I have reached a sort of cross-roads in my quest for health. I'm at my goal weight, and maintaining (within about five pounds). But I find myself slipping back into old habits. I must have eaten half a bag of cherry cordial Hershey's kisses yesterday. I haven't exercised in several weeks. I know I'm still doing better than I used to- before I would have eaten the whole bag of kisses. But I'm not satisfied with where I am right now. I have reached lifetime status at Weight Watchers- except that I have to keep my weight no more than two pounds above my goal. Right now I'm about four pounds above my goal. Major dilemma. Do I struggle to get those four pounds off so I can keep going for free? Do I decide that WW has given me all it really has to offer and we part ways? Parting ways is a little frightening for me. What if I forget all I have learned and end up undoing all the good I have done? If I keep going to WW, I can try new different things- like trying to learn to be an intuitive eater- and still have the safety net of WW to fall back on.

You want to know a secret? Wherever you go, there you are. I love this saying. Not only is it funny, but it has deep, subtle intelligence. You can't get away from yourself. You can change a little bit here, and a little bit there, but you're still you. My life will keep moving forward no matter what I decide to try to do for my health. I will still have kiddos to feed, a hubby to love, and bathrooms to clean. How I eat is just a small part of who I am. I want to be able to stop obsessing over numbers on the scale, but I still need to be vigilant.

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to pop in and say that you look amazing and I've really enjoyed lurking on your blog. As someone who has lost a lot of weight on WW in the past and since regained most of it, my suggestion would be to stick w/ the meetings and maintenance plan for at least six months. When I hit goal I thought I could go it alone and that's when those bad habits started to creep back in (along with those pounds). I think the meetings really help to keep you accountable and keep those good habits fresh in your mind. I'm back at WW and having good success again. I'm really loving their new plan that focuses more on whole, natural foods. Stick with it girl and keep up the blog as well. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stick with it!! it will continue to be a lifeline! You are looking SO GOOD! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like you should stay with WW; especially for the upcoming Christmas(food) season. You are certainly an inspiration to many!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to share a bit of good advice I got from my bro-in-law. When I mentioned in my own blog that I wanted to loose some weight and get fit (focusing on exercise)this is what he told me.
    "There are two primary motivators to get in shape: vanity and quality of life. Use what works for you.

    Increasing the number of days you work out per week is crucial. Exercise should become a lifestyle and not an event. Stay hungry!"

    I really like what he said about exercise being a lifestyle not an event. That has really motivated me to make it a routine in my week that I do not miss. It has helped a lot and I am loving it. Find a fitness class that you like and schedule yourself to go three times a week. Before you know it its your lifestyle and you wouldn't want to miss it. If you belong to bodyworks I have some great classes that I attend and would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I've decided I will stick with WW. I know I'm not at the point where I can successfully go it alone. And, gaining all that weight back is NOT an option. :) Sarah- I love your brother's advice.

    ReplyDelete